Experts in Women’s Health Physiotherapy
What is Involved in the Appointments?
A women’s health assessment includes detailed questions about your pelvic floor history. The assessment may also include an internal vaginal examination. These provide us with information to determine what the problems are and what the treatment plan should be. In the internal examination, we will test for weakness, tightness or change to your pelvic floor muscles, check your sensation and nerve function, and assess for prolapse of your pelvic organs.
Pelvic Floor Retraining and Incontinence Prevention
Our team are highly clinically experienced with diagnostic skills and therapeutic techniques. We can help with:
- Bladder control or leakage
- Bowel control, leakage or constipation
- Pelvic pain
- Pregnancy and post-natal health
- Pain, difficulty or lack of sensation with sex
- Pelvic organ prolapse and pessary fittings
The Weston Clinic: Our Experts in Women’s Health
A woman’s body can change a lot over a lifetime and it can be difficult to know how to best help your body recover from pregnancy and birth.
Most of our clinics have staff with interests and qualifications in Women’s Health, which you can see by filter on our Staff page. Our Weston clinic has full-time qualified Physiotherapists with interests in Women’s Health and Pelvic Health. The clinic offers a variety of Women’s Health services to assist women with changes the body experiences during pregnancy, after childbirth, and during menopause including 6-week postnatal checks and free information sessions for new and expecting mothers.
Free Information Sessions for Expecting Mothers
Look after your body during pregnancy and after birth. Our Weston clinic hosts free information sessions every second month for new and expecting mothers, led by our friendly Women’s and Pelvic Health qualified Physiotherapists, Tabitha and Amara. Learn how physiotherapy can help with:
Pregnancy: pelvic girdle pain, rib pain, safe exercise, perineal massage and birth preparation.
Postnatal: 6-week check, pelvic organ prolapse, mastitis, rectus diastasis examination.
Pelvic Pain: sexual dysfunction, endometriosis, pudendal neuralgia.
Postnatal Six-Week Check
After having a baby, it can be tricky to know how to best help your body recover. The Weston clinic offers a Six-Week Postnatal Check with a qualified Physiotherapist who has a special interest and additional training in Women’s Health. This consult will include:
- Setting recovery goals
- Assessing abdominal separation, pelvic alignment and more
- Advice on early mastitis care
- Internal vaginal examination to check pelvic floor muscle control, scar tissue and more
- Education, treatment, and home exercises tailored for you
- Safe return to exercise and activities
- Teaching safe baby handling and feeding postures
- Strategies to help pain, abdominal separation and more.
- Rectus diastasis examination
Book an appointment with one of our clinicians specialising in Women’s Health.